Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Larger Than Life

As I mentioned in my last entry, I did not photograph Irving Porter because of his poor health. I just received this photo of Irving and his daughter Cindy, that was taken in the late 1950’s. It appears that the photo may have been cropped but I think that that there is enough of it there for you to agree that Irving was the real thing. Hollywood would be hard pressed to outfit an actor that would project a stronger impression of a cowboy in the West.

Post edit:
I regret to report that Irving porter has passed away. Here’s an excerpt from the Alamogordo news paper:
Don Irving Porter, 85, passed from this life on Saturday, Sept. 18, 2010, at his home in Piñon.
I am glad I had a chance to visit with this fine man.

Post Edit 5 months later:

Lessie (Smith) Porter passed from this life Friday, Feb. 25, 2011, at
her home in Piñon.
She was born to Alva and Ethel (West) Smith on July 2, 1926, in Artesia. She was a lifelong resident of the Piñon area. She attended elementary school at Bonita School, high school at Weed and college at Eastern New Mexico University in Portales.
In 1948 Lessie married Irving Porter in Alamogordo. They lived on ranches their entire married life of 62 years. She was caregiver to Irving at their home for the last year of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment